Hummus is a quick-to-make snack that is full of protein and fiber. Make it today, and keep it in the fridge so when your body starts to tell you it’s time for a snack, you’ll be ready! We like to serve it with homemade pita bread, or crunchy carrot sticks.
Yield: 2 cups (500mL)
Preparation Time: About 20 minutes
- 1x 390g (14oz) can of chick peas
- A little water, to thin pureed chick peas
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- 1 or 1 ½ lemons (to taste)
- 1~2 Tbsp (15~30mL) tahini paste
- 1 tsp (5mL) cumin
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Paprika, to garnish
- Drizzle olive oil, to garnish
- Can opener
- Food processor
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Juicer or reamer
- Small bowl
- Bowl, to serve hummus
- Wooden spoon or heat proof spatula
1. Open the can of chickpeas and pour into a strainer in the sink. Rinse and drain well.
2. Carefully set up a food processor with a blade.
3. Add chickpeas to the food processor and click the lid in place. Puree until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add 1 or 2 Tbsp (15~30mL) of water and blend together.
4. Peel garlic clove(s) and cut in 1/2. Add to the food processor.
5. Juice the 1 ½ lemons into a small bowl, remove seeds then add juice to the food processor.
6. Add the tahini paste, cumin, olive oil and salt and pepper. Puree until smooth and well blended. Adjust thickness with a little more water if needed.
7. Carefully remove the hummus from the food processor and into a serving bowl. Be very careful of the food processor blade.
8. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.
9. Serve with pita, crackers, chopped veggies or spread on a sandwich.
- Tahini paste is made from ground sesame seeds and can be found in most grocery stores.
- If you don’t have a food processor, don’t worry. You can puree the beans with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Grate the garlic with a micro-plane or use a garlic press. Blend all of the ingredients together well by combining with the back of a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. The hummus will not be as smooth but it will be tasty.
STEP-BY-STEP – HUMMUS!
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author