Every culture has recipes that are important to them. By making and sharing these recipes, we remember family, friends and familiar places. Even though families move to new countries, we can connect to our culture through the food we make and eat.
Bolani is a baked flatbread stuffed with potatoes and green onion and is a popular snack in Afghanistan. You can find bolani stands at the side of the road in many cities and towns.
This recipe is a favourite among our students. Easy to make with easily found ingredients, makes this recipe a real winner.
Canada is a multicultural country and we are able to enjoy recipes that come from around the globe. Does your family have a traditional recipe that you enjoy? Make it a goal to learn how to make this recipe.
Yield: Serves 8
Preparation Time: About 60 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 or 3 green onions, cut into 1 cm sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- potato masher or fork
- small sharp knife
- rubber spatula
- rolling pin
- spatula or pancake flipper
- frying pan
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Add water and oil. Mix until dough starts to form. If dough seems a little dry, add a Tbsp. or 2 of water.
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes, until smooth.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl. Cover with clean tea towel or plastic wrap. Let rest for about an hour.
- Wash potatoes. Cook in pot of salted water until knife or skewer slides in and out when poked. Drain and let potatoes cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash potatoes. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and mash together until smooth.
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut the hairy root end off of the green onion, then slice into pinky-wide slices. Add to the potato bowl.
- Roughly chop the leaves and upper stem of the cilantro. Add to the bowl. Mix the potato mixture together.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal sized pieces. Take a piece of dough and roll into a smooth ball.
- Flour work surface then roll out dough as thin as a tortilla.
- Spread about ¼ cup of the filling on one half of the dough. Leave a 2 cm border around the rim.
- Fold the dough in half over the filling and press to seal. Press and flatten the bolani to remove air from inside the pocket.
- Place frying pan on heat. Turn on to medium. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and let heat up. Cook bolani until golden, about 2 minutes, then flip over. Both sides should be browned and crispy.
- Place on paper towel or plate.
- Repeat to cook other bolani.
- Slice into wedges and serve warm with yogurt for dipping.
- You can add ¼ cup chopped cooked spinach to the potato mixture for colour, flavour and nutrition.
STEP-BY-STEP – AFGHAN BOLANI!
© Project CHEF
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author