It’s not summer yet but here is something to get you prepared. Increase your vegetable intake with this delicious Vegetable Succotash. Don’t limit yourself to the vegetables listed in the ingredients list. Use what you have in your fridge or maybe add a new vegetable you haven’t tried before. The more colours the better!
Yield: 4-5 servings
Preparation Time: about 35 minutes
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) olive oil
- ½ large onion, cut into 1 cm cubed pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1cm cubed pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced with a micro-plane or garlic press
- 1 cup (250mL) fresh corn kernels, about 1 large ear (or frozen)
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced into 1 cm slices
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) chopped fresh marjoram, oregano or thyme (1 ½ tsp or 7mL dried herbs will be fine as well) Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large sauté pan
- 3 small bowls
- Cut the onion, red pepper and garlic. Place in a small bowl.
- Snap the corn cob in half. Stand each piece up on the cutting board and cut the kernels off by cutting toward the board. Place in a different small bowl. You can also use frozen corn.
- Hanging on to the stem end, cut the zucchini in half but not through the stem end. Turn the zucchini and cut again so that the zucchini is cut in quarters. Slice the zucchini into 1 cm slices. Add to the corn.
- Tear the parsley leaves from the stems and tear or chop into small pieces. Place in a different small bowl.
- Tear the marjoram leaves (or other herbs) from the stems. Tear or chop into small pieces. Add to the parsley.
- Place a large sauté pan on the stove top. Turn the heat to medium-high. Add the butter and oil and melt the butter.
- Add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Sauté until the peppers are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and zucchini. Sauté until vegetables are just tender, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and marjoram. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve right away.
- Succotash is a mixture of veggies. Don’t be limited to the ingredients listed. Try some others: green onion or leek, snap or snow peas, frozen peas or shelled soybeans (edamame) are a few choices.
STEP-BY-STEP – SUCCOTASH!
Prepare the ingredients. Dice the onion, pepper and zucchini. Grate the garlic. Tear the herbs into a small tub with your fingers.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author