We tell our young chefs to “eat your colours” and munching on this Greek Salad would certainly allow them to do this. Enjoy this with the pita bread and tzatziki and we’ve got you covered for a Canada’s Food Guide balanced meal. Picnic pretending you’re on a Greek island.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ English cucumber, halved and cut into 1 cm thick slices
- ½ large red pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 red onion, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup (125mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup (125mL) Kalamata olives (about 12 olives)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (50mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- good pinch sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- large salad bowl
- cutting board
- small sharp knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- micro-plane or garlic press
- liquid measuring cup
- salad servers or large spoons
1. Cut the tomatoes in half, from tip to stem. Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place in the salad bowl.
2. Cut the ½ cucumber in half lengthwise then cut into half again. Slice into 1 cm thick slices. Add to the salad bowl.
3. Cut the red pepper in half from stem to tip. Remove the seeds then cut into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
4. Half the red onion from tip to the stem, then remove the skin from one half. Put the other half aside for another use. Cut the half onion into half again then slice the onion quarters into thin slices. Add to the bowl.
5. Crumble the feta cheese and put aside for now.
6. Add the olives to the bowl.
7. Peel the garlic clove then press it through a garlic press or grate it with a microplane. Add to the bowl.
8. Add the oregano, crushing the herb between your fingers as you add it.
9. Toss the ingredients together. Add the olive oil, drizzling it over top of the ingredients.
10. Juice ½ lemon over top of the ingredients.
11. Season with salt and pepper then toss the ingredients together.
12. Add the feta cheese and gently toss.
13. Let stand at room temperature until ready to eat (if more than 2 hours, place in the fridge). Gently toss before serving. Store any extra salad in the fridge.
STEP-BY-STEP – GREEK SALAD!
Gather ingredients and equipment as per recipe. I used oregano from the garden but fresh or dry is fine.
Cut veggies and measure ingredients as per recipe.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author