Ratatouille is chunky vegetable stew from the south of France. In Project CHEF, we like to promote eating all the colours of the rainbow and this recipe definitely accomplishes that! Our bodies need a whole variety of vitamins & minerals in order to grow and stay healthy. One way to accomplish that is by eating the colours of the rainbow. Pair this dish with our Whole Wheat Baguette to add some delicious whole grains to the meal.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: About one hour
You may recognize the name of this dish from the movie “Ratatouille.” Ratatouille conveys the message that ‘anyone can cook’. At Project CHEF, we believe this to be true. An important scene in the movie shows the link between eating certain food and memories.
- Can you think of any memories you have linked to food? It may be a special birthday dish or your favourite meal at your grandparent’s house.
- Describe how that dish makes you feel.
- 2 small onions, cut into 1 cm thick half moons
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly or grated
- 1/3 cup (75mL) extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 cm wide slices, then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cut into cm wide strips
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 cm wide slices
- 1 tsp (5mL) chopped fresh rosemary (tear the leaves or snip with kitchen scissors)
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) fresh lemon juice (about ½ small lemon)
- ¼ cup (50mL) thinly sliced fresh basil (or 1Tbsp/15mL. dried)
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Dash hot sauce (optional)
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Micro-plane or garlic press
- Small bowls
- Large sauté pan
- Cut the onions and grate the garlic.
- Place a large sauté pan on the stove-top and turn on to medium-low heat.
- Add the about a third of the olive oil, let heat up then add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook the onion until very soft, about 10 minutes, adding the garlic part way through. Watch that it does not burn.
- Cut the eggplant, red pepper and zucchini and rosemary. Add to the onion mixture, turning up the heat to medium. Add another third of the olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 – 7 minutes, adding the rest of the olive oil if the pan dries out.
- Cut the tomatoes then add to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and let the ratatouille cook slowly over a low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes, until the ratatouille is soft and juicy and the flavours come together.
- Add the lemon juice, hot sauce (if using), chopped basil and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Serve right away.
STEP-BY-STEP – RATATOUILLE!
This meal goes perfectly with the Whole Wheat Baguette. Bon Appetit!
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author