Two favourite foods come together in a delicious morning treat. Pancakes and apples, what’s not to love? This tasty combination will wake up everyone with the smell of apples and cinnamon, a match-made-in-heaven. Ask an adult to be with you for this recipe since you will be using an oven and a blender. It is a guaranteed happy start to the day.
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
Preparation Time: About 25 minutes
Baking Time: 5 minutes, then 25 – 30 min.
- small knob of butter to grease the pie pan
- 1 apple
- +2 Tbsp (30+30mL) sugar, separated
- ¼+¼ tsp (1+1mL) cinnamon, separated
- 3 large eggs
- 250mL whole milk
- 3/4 cup m(175mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (3mL) vanilla
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) icing sugar
- measuring cups and spoons
- 9-inch glass pie plate
- melon baller
- cutting board
- small sharp knife
- small mixing bowl
- blender (or whisk and a strong arm)
- cooling rack
- fine sieve
1. Preheat the oven to 205 C (400 F).
2. Grease the pie pan with a knob of butter.
3. Cut apple into half and remove the core with a melon baller.
4. Cut the apple into quarters then into small, evenly-sized chunks.
5. In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsp (30mL) of the sugar and 1/4 tsp (1mL) of the cinnamon using a fork.
6. Add the apple chunks and toss with a fork until the pieces are evenly coated with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
7. Pour the apple chunks into the prepared pan, spreading them out evenly with fork. Put the dish in the oven and bake the apple chunks for 5 minutes.
8. Measure and place the remaining sugar, the remaining cinnamon, the eggs, milk, flour and the vanilla into a blender. Place the lid on tightly and place your hand over the lid. Blend on medium speed for about 1 minute, until all the ingredients are frothy.
9. Using oven mitts, carefully open the oven and pull out the oven rack until you can easily reach the pie pan. Pour the batter evenly over the apples. Slide the rack back into the oven and close the door. We recommend having an adult helper assist you with this.
10. Bake the pancake for about 25 – 30 minutes, until the pancake is puffed and light brown.
11. Place on a cooling rack and dust with the icing sugar from a fine sieve.
12. Cut into wedges and serve right away.
STEP-BY-STEP – PUFFY APPLE OVEN PANCAKE!
Gather your ingredients and ask an adult to be there to help you as you will be using the oven and a blender.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author