Here is a side dish you can prepare in a snap using common household items. Take a look through the list of ingredients, do you notice anything that stands out? You may think that ingredients like honey and cinnamon are reserved for sweet foods, but they have their place in savoury foods too. Many cuisines are created by carefully balancing out flavours that tickle our tastebuds. Salty, sweet, sour and spicy are the predominant flavour categories that are used in everyday cooking. Create this recipe then taste your creation. Really taste your food and become a chef. Perhaps you would like the salad to be saltier, sweeter, more sour or spicier. What could you add next time?
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: About 20 minutes
- Do we have all 4 flavour categories in this recipe?
- Can you distinguish the salty, sweet, sour and spicy flavours?
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2mL) sea salt
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cumin
- ¼ tsp (1mL) paprika
- ¼ tsp (1mL) chilli powder
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 spoonful of liquid honey
- 2 tbsp (30mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Vegetable peeler
- Box grater
- Garlic press or micro-plane
- Measuring spoons
- Juicer of reamer
- Small knife
- Jar with lid
- Medium-sized bowl
- Peel the carrots then grate on the large holes of a box greater. Place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Measure all the dressing ingredients into a jar that has a tight fitting lid. Screw the lid on tightly and give it a shake until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots and combine well.
- Taste and add more salt or honey if necessary.
STEP-BY-STEP – MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD!
Grate the carrots. Feel free to leave the carrot skin on, just make sure to thoroughly wash it. The skin and the layer just under the skin of a vegetable is packed full of nutrition, and is edible and tasty.
Add honey & olive oil. If you want to accurately measure using your measuring spoon, measure the olive oil first then your honey – that way, the spoon is greasy and the honey will slide right out.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author