Miso Soup is a staple in Japan – it is enjoyed for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and many people have it every day! The ingredients can differ by region as well as family traditions & preferences.
Yield: 4 – 5 servings
Preparation Time: About 20 minutes
Cooking Time: About 15 minutes
- small wedge of white onion, finely sliced
- 3 shitake or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 or 2 wedges Napa cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- ½ garlic clove, grated
- 1 thin slice of ginger, sliced into strips
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) vegetable oil
- 1L water
- 1 strip wakame (edible seaweed), optional
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) miso paste
- 1/6 of a block of firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- few sprigs of cilantro, torn into small pieces
- a few drops sesame oil
- cutting board
- small sharp knife
- liquid measuring cup
- medium sized pot with lid
- small bowl
1. Cut onion wedge into thin slices. Put aside for now.
2. Slice mushrooms. Put aside for now.
3. Slice cabbage. Put aside for now.
4. Grate garlic. Add to the cabbage.
5. Scrape the skin from a knob of ginger with a teaspoon. Slice a thin slice of peeled ginger. Cut slice of ginger into thin strips. Add to cabbage.
6. Place a medium-sized pot on the stove-top. Turn on to a medium heat. Add vegetable oil and heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
7. Add the mushrooms and sauté a couple more minutes. Add a 1~2Tbsp (15~30mL) of water if too dry and browning too fast.
8. Add the cabbage, garlic and ginger. And cook until cabbage is limp.
9. Add water and wakame (if adding). Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
10. Turn heat to low. Scoop a spoonful or more of the cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add the miso paste and mix together. Add to the soup.
11. Cut the piece of tofu into small cubes.
12. Add tofu to the soup and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
13. Thinly slice green onion. Tear the leaves from a few sprigs of cilantro into pieces. Add to the green onion.
14. Ladle miso soup into bowls. Garnish with green onion and cilantro. Drizzle with a drop or 2 of sesame oil.
15. Enjoy right away.
STEP-BY-STEP – MISO SOUP!
Slice mushrooms, place inside a bowl. (Option to add different mushrooms like Enoki; pictured). Tear napa cabbage with your fingers and place in separate bowl. (Option to use a different green like bok choy instead; pictured). Grate garlic into another bowl, add thinly sliced ginger. Dice the tofu into small cubes
Scoop a few spoonfuls of water into a bowl and whisk the miso in until combined. Add the mixture into the soup. Add the tofu, once it comes to a boil again, the soup is ready! Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with green onions. (Options for other garnishes: cilantro and sesame oil!)
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author