June in British Columbia means many wonderful edibles are popping up in our gardens. This salad showcases fresh and tender butter lettuce with sweet-as-candy local strawberries. Try this light and lively combination!
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation Time: About 20 minutes
- 5 strawberries
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 head butter lettuce
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts
- Food processor or blender
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Small cake pan
- Hull the strawberries and place in a food processor.
- Add the vinegar and puree. Add the olive oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream, until the vinaigrette is smooth. Season with salt. Place in a small bowl.
- Place hazelnuts in a small cake pan and bake in a preheated oven (350 F) for about 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Separate the lettuce leaves, wash and dry.
- Place a few lettuce leaves on a plate and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Garnish with a few toasted hazelnuts.
- If you are on a picnic, drizzle the vinaigrette on a lettuce leaf, roll it up and eat it with your fingers. These are summer rules that don’t apply at the dining room table!
STEP-BY-STEP – BUTTER LETTUCE CUPS WITH STRAWBERRY VINAIGRETTE!
Gather your ingredients. We used toasted sliced almonds instead of hazelnuts. Use what you have!
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author