Each Spring, many of our classes grow potatoes with the Spuds in Tubs BC Agriculture in the Classroom program. Their joy when harvesting potatoes is contagious. After counting the harvest, we have helped the students trade their gardening hats for chef toques to cook up their crop. If you want to try growing your own potatoes at home, check out our Potato Planting Activity.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: About 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 40 minutes at 425 F
- 1 kg potatoes (about 4 good handfuls of potatoes), Any type of potatoes will do. After trying a few types, you will find your favourite.
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (50ml) chopped fresh herbs, or 2 Tbsp. (30ml) dried, (try parsley, rosemary, thyme, chives, oregano – experiment!)
- ½ tsp. (3 ml) salt
- a few grinds of freshly cracked pepper
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- baking tray with edges
- parchment paper (optional)
- kitchen tongs or heatproof spatula
1. Pre-heat oven to 220 C (425 F) – a hot oven.
2. Scrub your potatoes under running water.
3. Cut potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place on a baking tray.
4. Drizzle olive oil over top of potatoes. Toss together.
5. Tear herb leaves from the stems. Tear the herb leaves into smaller pieces to release the flavour. Sprinkle over the potatoes.
6. Sprinkle salt and pepper over top.
7. Toss together with your hands. Spread out evenly over baking sheet.
8. Place in oven. After about 15 minutes, pull the baking tray out of the oven and flip the potatoes over so that they cook evenly. Place back in the oven.
9. Bake another 15 minutes. Check to see if cooked. Potatoes should be golden and tender when poked with a fork.
10. Serve with anything!
STEP-BY-STEP – ROAST POTATOES!
Gather your ingredients. We found chives, parsley, and rosemary in the garden but use whatever herbs are available.
Finely chop the fresh herbs and combine in a bowl. Alternatively, you can use your fingers to tear the herbs into small pieces.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author