These lemon squares are just simply a good idea. The ingredients are available year-round, the recipe yields 32 squares so there’s plenty to share, and they freeze beautifully. With Mother’s Day just around the corner, they also make the perfect gift to give to someone special. If you keep a stash of these squares in your freezer, you can pull a few out whenever the skies are grey or rainy. You’ll have a bit of sunshine on your plate.
Yield: About 32 squares
Preparation Time: About 45 minutes
Baking Time: First bake for crust: 20 – 25 minutes @ 325 F
Second bake with topping: 25 – 30 minutes @ 325 F
- Knob of butter, to grease the sides of the pan
- ¾ cup (175mL) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) finely grated lemon zest (about 2 small lemons)
- ½ cup (125mL) fresh lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10mL) icing sugar, to dust on cooled squares
- 13 x 9 inch cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Large-sized bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cooling rack
- Liquid measuring cup
- Medium-sized bowl
- Zester or micro plane
- Juicer or reamer
- Sharp knife
1. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 160 C (325 F).
2. Line a 33 cm x 23 cm (13 x 9”) cake pan with parchment paper, leaving 3 cm extending over long edges for handles. Grease the two shorter sides of the pan with butter. Put aside for now.(If you do not have parchment paper, grease the whole pan with butter)
3. In a large bowl, spread the softened butter around the bottom of the bowl with the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Add the sugar and salt and cream together until light and fluffy.
5. Add the flour, 1 cup (250mL) at a time and combine until crumbly.
6. With the backs of your fingers, press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
7. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden at the edges.
8. Let cool on a cooling rack.
9. Zest the lemons and place the zest into a small-sized bowl.
10. Cut the lemons in half and juice them, measuring ½ cup (125mL). Add the juice to the zest. Put aside for now.
11. Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl. Add the sugar and whisk together until pale and thickened.
12. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, the flour and the baking powder. Combine until smooth.
13. Pour over the baked and cooled base, spreading evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown and the centre is set.
14. Cool on a cooling rack.
15. When cool, dust with icing sugar.
16. Using the parchment paper handles, lift out of the pan. Cut into squares.
17. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- These squares freeze well. If freezing, do not dust with icing sugar until thawed.
STEP-BY-STEP – LUSCIOUS LEMON SQUARES!
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author