Cornbread, warm from the oven, is a tasty treat. Serve alongside chili, soup or a glass of milk. If you don’t have buttermilk, no worries. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to milk, stir and let sit for 15 minutes.
Yield: One 20cm (8″) square pan or cast iron skillet
Preparation time: About 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 1 tsp (5mL) vegetable oil, to grease the pan
- 1 green onion, chopped or several chives, snipped into small pieces
- ½ cup (125mL) grated aged cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125mL) corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) olive oil or melted butter
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) honey
- 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 8-inch square cake pan or a cast iron skillet
- Kitchen scissors
- Box grater
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- Microwave-safe bowl or a small pot
- Liquid measuring cup
- Cooling rack
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F).
2. Prepare the pan or skillet by rubbing a teaspoon of oil all over the bottom and sides.
3. Cut green onion or chives and place in a small bowl.
4. Grate the cheese and add to the green onions.
5. Measure the corn kernels and add to the cheese mixture. Toss the ingredients together. Put aside for now.
6. Measure the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cornmeal into a large bowl. Mix together well with a whisk or fork. Make a well in the centre.
7. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to a small bowl. If using butter, melt the butter in a microwave or on the stove top. If using the microwave, put the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and place in the microwave and set the time for 20 seconds at a medium temperature. If the butter is not melted, set the timer for another 20 seconds. If you are using the stove top, place the butter in a small pot and melt over a low heat. Place 2 Tbsp (30mL) melted butter into a small bowl.
8. Add 2 Tbsp (30mL) honey to the oil or butter.
9. Add the milk to the same bowl and mix with a fork.
10. Crack the eggs into the same bowl and mix with a fork.
11. Pour the oil/milk mixture into the well of the flour mixture. Add the cheese mixture. Stir with a spatula just until the batter is combined.
12. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
13. Bake in the 190 C (375 F) oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Check the cornbread is done by sticking a toothpick into the centre of the bread. If the toothpick has batter on it when you pull it out, bake the cornbread a couple of minutes more. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cornbread is done.
14. Cool about 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
15. Serve warm. Cut the cake into squares or wedges if you cooked the cornbread in a skillet. If you do not eat all the cornbread, place in a container when cool so that it doesn’t dry out.
You can add many different ingredients to this recipe to make the recipe your own. Try adding some of these ingredients: ¼ or ½ jalapeno pepper, deseeded and cut into small cubes, ½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, ½ cup chopped pecans, a few pieces of crumbled cooked bacon or ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
STEP-BY-STEP – DOUBLE CORN CORNBREAD!
Cut green onion and place in bowl. I used chives from the garden and snipped with kitchen scissors. Grate cheese. Measure corn. Mix together.
Bake in 375 F oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the centre of cornbread.
©ProjectCHEF2020 All rights reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author