We can travel the world through food and today we are preparing a delicious snack that is a popular street food in Mexico, Central America and South America. A tostada is a crispy tortilla typically made out of corn, however, it can also be made with wheat tortillas. Try making your own Whole Wheat Tortillas using our Project CHEF recipe. You can use a variety of different toppings to build your tostada. Some of our favourites are our Black Bean Dip, fresh Tomato Salsa and of course, Guacamole. Check out our video with the whole Project CHEF team teaching you how to make this these tasty tostadas.
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 8x 15cm whole wheat tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- Olive oil (optional)
- Kitchen tongs
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on the stove top. Turn on the heat to medium.
- Add a couple of drops of olive oil on the tortilla. Spread the oil using a pastry brush or your fingers. This is an optional step.
- Place the tortilla on the non-stick frying pan. Let it cook for about 5-7 minutes. Using tongs or the spatula, carefully turn the tortilla over and cook the other side until the tortilla is dry, toasted and crispy. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with the other tortillas.
- Eat or store in an airtight container.
- You can eat tostadas with any topping you have at home! It’s an easy and quick meal or snack.
STEP-BY-STEP – CRISPY TOSTADAS!
Make your tostadas first as they take the longest to cook. Check out our video on how to turn a tortilla into a crispy tostada.
Prepare your dips ahead of time. You can even make the Tomato Salsa & Black Bean Dip the day ahead, as they will taste better as they develop flavour over time in the fridge. The Guacamole is best made fresh to eat straight away. Crumble some Feta cheese ready for garnish.
© Project CHEF
Not to be copied or reproduced without express permission from the author